Some Tunes


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

More Industry Feedback

This is tough stuff. I feel like I'm at some sort of crossroads with my writing. I find it so hard to be objective, but I also find that I'm taking constructive criticism pretty well - maybe my skin's getting a little thicker. That being said, I'm finding it challenging to connect the dots with what makes sense intellectually and absorbing things into my DNA.

Each time I apply changes or new guidelines, I feel progress, but never as fast as I'd like it to be. The crossroads really is just this: Do I have what it takes to write professionally and play with the big boys and girls? Tuesday I thought I did and Wednesday I wasn't sure. But, after I take a few deep breaths I think it is really not just a talent thing. It is a tenacity + talent + inquisitiveness + creativity + (add in whatever you think here)-thing.


Today I have my first mentoring review in a SongU class. I've decided to review my newest write in which I applied some different techniques and I'm reluctantly excited about getting feedback. I think its a good write, but that's just me - so we'll see how some other, more seasoned ears feel about it.


Although I love taking the time to record, I have discovered that once I take the time to put something down in 1's and 0's form, it feels like I should be done. So, I'm going to only record for the fun of it or to do more live-type recording until I can get up to par on the writing.

Oh, and here's a quote that is my new mantra for writing songs: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." from Maya Angelou, Professor of English Literature Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC.

You know, if it was easy, everyone would do it. Take a deep breath and continue. Hey I still enjoy it, so onward and upward and downward and back upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment